BBC Culture Why is Judy Garland the ultimate gay icon?
Kaye wrote, "Contemporary gay men have seen in Sebastian at once a stunning advertisement for homosexual desire indeed, a homoerotic ideal , and a prototypical portrait of a tortured closet case. Star Elizabeth Montgomery and Sargent were grand marshals of a Los Angeles gay pride parade in the early s.
Time then attempted to explain Garland's appeal to the homosexual, consulting psychiatrists who opined that "the attraction [to Garland] might be made considerably stronger by the fact that she has survived so many problems; homosexuals identify with that kind of hysteria" and that "Judy was beaten up by life, embattled, and ultimately had to become more masculine.
The mostly gay audience laughed pitilessly at the first, needy pleas, which played on Garland's emotional failings and highlighted the loneliness that is so much a part of her popular image -- and was once so much a part of our own.
Mason, who discovered Garland singing in the wee hours in an empty jazz club with the chairs turned up on the tables, and spied in her a native talent more powerful than any he had ever seen before, snaps her back to her natural self before she goes in front of the cameras: "It's the Downbeat Club at three o'clock in the morning," he says, "and you're singing for yourself and for the boys in the band -- mainly for yourself.
Gay Dating Professional Men Seeking Men with EliteSingles In many
- Mature gay and young homo screwing in the kitchen TK
- Gay speed dating uk Yule September 06
- try to find Hispanic gay men
- Gay South Bend: Heart of Michiana
- Paul Flynn of The Guardian wrote, "The concept of gay icon is a cheap ticket The earliest gay icon may have been Saint Sebastian ,  a Christian saint and martyr , whose combination of strong and shirtless physique, symbolic arrow-pierced flesh and rapturous look of pain have intrigued artists, both gay and straight, for centuries and began the first explicitly gay cult in the nineteenth century.
- Melanie Brown was shown kissing another woman in her " For Once in My Life " video, making this song a hymn of the gay community. She has the power that homosexuals would like to have, and they attempt to attain it by idolizing her.
- She was so affectionate and fun, and she sang. In the Netherlands , Dutch singer and actress Willeke Alberti is widely embraced as a gay icon, due to a combination of her song repertoire, her durability, and her performances in support of manifold gay causes.
Archived from the original on June 28, According to United Press International 's Marilyn Malara, "In the s and s, Garland acted as an unofficial mascot for a generation of gay men, who flocked to Garland's many performances, referring to themselves as 'friends of Dorothy.
Retrieved April 10, December 21,